Re: [gtk-list] Pure Gtk vs Gnome

gandalf@pobox.com wrote:

> Hiya.
>
> I have been writting a little app in Gtk, and have just finished taking the
> plunge and converting my code to be gnome aware.  Now I have firmly decided
> that I want to continue to develop my app as gnome aware.
>
> The question I have for people is, do you think it is worth having a seperate
> "gtk only" version?
>
> I can see how I can wrap most of it so that i can continue to develop both,
> with little duplicate coding.  But is it worth the effort?  I have played a
> little and it seems you can run the gnome aware version without an active
> gnome session.  However since it is linking against gnome libs and not just
> gtk libs, it still would require gnome (or at least gnome-lib) to be installed
> to run.
>
> I don't want to start a war over this, but I am honestly interested in hearing
> what people think of this.  I would obviously prefer to give myself less work,
> but i am not sure I want to limit myslef to only gnome users.
>
> Also, if people have ideas/hints/tips about how to maintain two such versions,
> I would love to hear them.
>
> Thanks,
> -chris

	Is a common practice to split large projects in several layers. Well,
that isn't the case with gtk+ and gnome but you can see it as if it
would be.
	For most applications using both gtk+ and gnome-libs is the better
choice, but there is no reason to force developer to use gnome-libs if
he/she doesn want to.
	And if you want to develop or run a gnome application there is no
problem with installing gtk+ and gnome as separated packages, the same
way as to install gnome you install several packages (libs ,core ,etc.).

David.
--
|David Abilleira Freijeiro | Pontevedra, España        |