Re: [gtk-list] Re: gtk or gtk--

Cyrille Artho <cartho@netlink.ch> writes:
> Yes, but the class hierarchy is nearly identical (at least at the first
> look).
> http://lazy.ton.tut.fi/terop/iki/gtk/porting.txt
> but the doc is not complete.

well, that doc is like 1/2 years old, I dont think it'll be ever completed...

Header files of qt apps can be converted quite directly...

But there can be quite much problems in direct translation of qt code
to gtk--, even though class hierarchies were similar. The problem is
with things like how to access pixmap data and details like that,
since they're implemented completely differently.. Also its very
common that in direct conversion will forget to do some things (like
how to pack wigets to containers etc..) and there will be huge amount
of job to make the app look good again. It is possible, but might be
easier to rebuild the interface part of the app and just connect the
callbacks correctly -- makes the app look much more like gtk+/gtk--
application... (this is why that porting.txt was never
finished..)

But yes, the consepts between qt and gtk+ and gtk-- are very similar,
so moving between those toolkits will be easier than with other
toolkits.

(maybe I should remove that porting.txt completely from the web page?)

--
-- Tero Pulkkinen -- terop@modeemi.cs.tut.fi --