Re: MDI?

[questions about GTK snipped - still learning GTK here]
Nimrod Zimerman wrote:
>>>By the way - how can something like that be implemented in X? Is there a
>>>concept of 'windows inside windows'?
>>Yes and no. X is all about windows inside windows, but only those that
>>are one level below the root window get a frame from the window manager.
>Which, hence, renders the thing rather useless for most purposes, I'd say.
Yes and no (again). Separating window management is a good idea. But
having different window managers with different behavior can make things
more complicated.
There was at least one window manager, CTWM, that could run in 'slave'
mode, with its own root menu and icons and all, in a window managed by
another CTWM. You could even move windows from one WM to the other.
Possibly you could connect the slave WM to a remote server (I never
tried this).
So if you get custom init and config files for this slave WM you can run
any app inside it in what is sort of an MDI interface. Without the app
being aware of that. How about adding this capability to other WMs?
-Daniel