[gtk-list] Re: MDI?

On Wed, May 13, 1998 at 04:47:54PM +0200, Daniel Solaz wrote:

> I don't really know why MDI is not popular in the X world. But I'm glad
> it isn't. MDI is so rigid and limiting. Well written apps (so you don't
> get orphan floating toolbars and the like when you hide the main window)
> and virtual desktops are more than enough, and much better IMHO.

How would you write a gtk application such that you can call it 'well
written' in that respect?

Here's an example.
You have a main window, that has the ability to start a dialog. This dialog
shouldn't be modal.
Whenever the application is raised (the window manager decides that), the
dialog should be raised above the main window, so as never to be hidden by
it.

How can this be done in gtk?

Using the 'focus_in' event seems like a good idea, but it isn't, since WMs
don't have to raise windows they focus.

Is there a 'raise' signal one might trap?
What can be done?

> >By the way - how can something like that be implemented in X? Is there a
> >concept of 'windows inside windows'?
> Yes and no. X is all about windows inside windows, but only those that
> are one level below the root window get a frame from the window manager.

Which, hence, renders the thing rather useless for most purposes, I'd say.

                                                   Nimrod