Re: MDI?

Nimrod Zimerman wrote:
>On Wed, May 13, 1998 at 01:27:47AM -0500, Bil Wendling wrote:
>>There's a list in the TODO list of gtk 1.0.1 and one item suggests doing a
>>Multiple Document Interface model. It should be pointed out that many
>>places, including Microsoft, have abandonded this practice...
>Do you have any idea why? I always thought it is a pretty useful concept.
I don't really know why MDI is not popular in the X world. But I'm glad
it isn't. MDI is so rigid and limiting. Well written apps (so you don't
get orphan floating toolbars and the like when you hide the main window)
and virtual desktops are more than enough, and much better IMHO.
>By the way - how can something like that be implemented in X? Is there a
>concept of 'windows inside windows'?
Yes and no. X is all about windows inside windows, but only those that
are one level below the root window get a frame from the window manager.
-Daniel