Re: [gtk-list] Re: Announce : new irc client

On Sat, 9 May 1998, Mike Flouris wrote:

> 2. Games (and most of all Network Games). Linux can run on the
> same machine with Winblows but we there are many awesome games
> one can play in Win*ows, and in Linux ???
>
> In my opinion it's not that difficult to write a simple nice
> game in GTK. Perhaps easier than writing an IRC client that
> supports Perl !!!

I have occasionally thought about writing a game under Linux, but every
time I have just dropped it for a simple reason: there doesn't seem to be
an easy, good way to access the _whole_ screen. If I play a game I want it
to be full screen (I hate playing games in window with a vengeance - it
just thoroughly destroys any suspension of disbelief). So AFAIK that more
or less puts X out of the equation (unless of course I write a 3dfx game,
but since I don't have second monitor I'll be scuppered if I'll try and
pull that one off). Then there is GGI, but last I looked was still not
stable enough for my liking. So, I have not bothered writing a game.
Instead I'm messing about with an offline news reader (a la Agent on Win).
Oh, I would love to be proven wrong on the "take over the screen under X"
issue.

Cheers
	Dave (who thinks minesweeper is a pile of boring, raw, sewage)