Re: [gtk-list] Re: Announce : new irc client

On Sat, 9 May 1998, Dave Swegen wrote:

> an easy, good way to access the _whole_ screen. If I play a game I want it
> to be full screen (I hate playing games in window with a vengeance - it
> just thoroughly destroys any suspension of disbelief). So AFAIK that more
> or less puts X out of the equation (unless of course I write a 3dfx game,
Not really. Just put a override window on top that covers the whole
screen.
> but since I don't have second monitor I'll be scuppered if I'll try and
> pull that one off). Then there is GGI, but last I looked was still not
> stable enough for my liking. So, I have not bothered writing a game.
> Instead I'm messing about with an offline news reader (a la Agent on Win).
No point in writing an offline client. There are already quite well
functioning caching/offline newsservers like leafnode/NewsCache/...
And they are not difficult to administer, as they are basically designed
to be installed on enduser machines, ...
> Oh, I would love to be proven wrong on the "take over the screen under X"
> issue.

Andreas