Re: [gtk-list] Re: Fileselection comments

>  This depends if we add a filter.  Please reference this as to what
>  my ideas for filesel are:
>  http://www.gimp.org/~amundson/proto/filesel-2.gif
>  Icons would be a big improvement.

It looks pretty good.  I love the idea of having a paned container to
split the directory and file listings.

For the icons, what about having a function similar to this:

  gtk_file_selection_set_button_creation_functions (GtkWidget * (*create_dir) (void),
						    GtkWidget * (*rename_dir) (void),
						    GtkWidget * (*rename_file) (void),
						    GtkWidget * (*delete_file) (void),
						    GtkWidget * (*info) (void),
						    GtkWidget * (*ok) (void),
						    GtkWidget * (*cancel) (void));

These would be global to the file selection class.  There would be
default functions declared statically inside the file selection
module.  Then, gtk_file_selection_new() would call these function
pointers to create its buttons.

So maybe gnome_init() would call this function to set the button
creation funcs, and specify appropriate stuff for Gnome.

>  The tree widget included in GTK has performance problems much like
>  GtkList.  This is why we are using GtkCList now.  I personally see
>  no advantage to having a tree widget for directories in the file
>  selector.  I think what you gain is a file selector dialog bigger
>  than my 800x600 screen.

I would like a tree widget that would have similar behavior to that of
the directory tree in the Midnight Commander.  It does not need to
re-scan the disk; it just remembers the directories you have visited.
Take a look at it and you'll see how it works.

  Quartic