Re: [gtk-list] Re: GTK widget: Round dial

On  9 Jan, Andy Tai shouted:
->  > I want to contribute and help wiht this gnome/gtk/g* project.. and the
->  > place i saw myself best startign was proting code i've spent a lot of
->  > time on to make it fast and powerful... imlib has made my life a deram
->  > coding enlightenment... and i'm sure somehting similar sould make it
->  > easy as hell for gtk programmers.
->
->  I guess most people agree that imlib is a good thing (but not for 1.0)
->  but the worthyness of theme stuff is subject to debate.   Imlib adds pure
->  functionality, but theme offers no real functions other than different looks.
->  I remember the authors of Qt point out why they have only two looks.   Ignoring
->  the license issues, I think Qt offers an example of what professional gui
->  toolkits should be like.   Qt is fast partly because it avoids unnecessary
->  stuff.  Qt's design is clean and benefits both developers and users.
->
->  I have to say Enlightment's value is highly controversial.  I mean no
->  disrespect for you, Rasterman.  Your talents can be of great
->  values, but please consider why the Mac and Windows have their particular
->  looks.   Apple and Microsoft did not spend millions of dollars on HCI/usability
->  studies for nothing.   And consider these Enlightment themes making Linux
->  desktop looks like a game screen.  Adding themes to gtk may throw gtk off track
->  adding bloats, slowing it down.   We need a lean and fast toolkit, not a fancy
->  yet slow one. Pleaee think about this.  Thanks.

Yes.. I get your point. BUT you haven't gotten mine. I am saying theme
support is ....

        O P T I O N A L

If the USER selects a theme, then gtk will respond, if noy, it stays
exactly as is, with a minimum amount of extra code floating around not
being used, for the theme stuff. If you think the extra bit of code to
do the theme stuff is a bloat, then i suggest you thow out gdk long
before you throw out theme stuff, becuase that is quite a bloat, code
AND speed wise. Using Xlib directly would be fatser and less code, but
I'm NOT advocating doing this. It's merely a comparison.

|raster@rasterman.com     /\___ /\ ___/||\___ ____/|/\___  raster@redhat.com   |
|Carsten Haitzler         | _ //__\\ __||_ __\\ ___|| _ /  Red Hat Advanced    |
|218/21 Conner Drive      || // __ \\_ \ | |   \ _/_|| /   Development Labs    |
|Chapel Hill NC 27514 USA ||\\\/  \//__/ |_|   /___/||\\   +1 919 547 0012 282 |
|               For pure Enlightenment  http://www.rasterman.com/              |