Re: [gtk-list] Re: GTK widget: Round dial

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Andy Tai wrote:

> values, but please consider why the Mac and Windows have their particular
> looks.   Apple and Microsoft did not spend millions of dollars on HCI/usability
> studies for nothing.   And consider these Enlightment themes making Linux
> desktop looks like a game screen.  Adding themes to gtk may throw gtk off track
> adding bloats, slowing it down.   We need a lean and fast toolkit, not a fancy
> yet slow one. Pleaee think about this.  Thanks.

Microsoft definately changes looks quite often just to sell it's
products.  This is why the toolbars now have buttons that are flat
before you go over them, and why you can drag toolbars and menubars
all over the place.  Neither of these features is necessarily
good GUI design.

The most compelling reason to have themes in GTK I can think of
is to prevent things like the Xaw variants.  And there are many
others I am sure.

However, we can't have any major interface changes before GTK 1.0 is
released, with the exception of bug fixes and widgets which are not
completed.  GTK is the "GIMP Toolkit", and as such needs to be stable
for GIMP 1.0.  We simply can't pull the carpet out from under the hard
work put into stablizing GIMP.

I don't care at all about being able to do weird themes like KAI.
But I would like the ability to make GTK look like exactly like
Mac / Win95 / Motif widgets.  GTK post-1.0 will be fair game for
this type of thing.  I think some written proposals and some
speed tests might not be out of the question though.

--
Shawn T. Amundson
amundson@gimp.org

while (i) { last }