Re: GDK (was Re: glib)

Lalo Martins <lalo@webcom.com> writes:

> On Aug 15, Tor Lillqvist decided to present us with:
> >
> > No, but they don't go through GLib, but GDK, which is distributed as
> > part of GTK. GLib isn't really POSIX or X11 specific at all, and
> > trivial to port to Win32, Mac or whatever.
>
> Yes you're right, I meant GDK... please mind it was 6AM after a
> sleepless night :-)
>
> > > The purpose of the question is: supposing there was a library
> > > that implemented the same interface as glib, say one that runs
> > > over something else than X (windoze, macs, whatever), would GTK
> > > work with it?
> >
> > (You mean "same interface as GDK".) One would hope so. In fact, I
> > think people are working on GDK, and thus GTK, ports to Win32.
>
> Great. Now check my crazed rambling: wouldn't it be possible to
> do a port of GDK that ran over GGI? [GGIDK? ;-)] I don't think I
> need to spell the advantages. But if someone is still wondering,
> I can inform you that I run X about three times a week.

You could probably port the simpler parts of GDK to GGI fairly
easily, especially if you had a windowing layer on top of
libGGI. (I believe one is distributed with libGGI now). You'd
have to disable many of the more sophisticated capabilities
of GDK/GTK (cut and paste, DND, internationalized input support....),
and might have to write some replacement code for some of the
more complicated/X-specific graphical operations, but it would
definitely be feasible to get some basic GTK+ applications
running. (Getting it to the point where something like the GIMP
works would be more of a challenge.)

Regards,
                                        Owen