Re: [gtk-list] Re: Multiple Display support in GTK+?

Nathan Froyd wrote:

> Michael Poole wrote:
> >         Out of curiosity, how would this work?  It seems to me that
> > GTK+, being (entirely?) a widget toolkit, is a layer of abstraction
> > above running on multiple devices.  Supporting independent displays
> > on multiple devices, or one display spanning several devices, is a
> > lot more of a device-driver issue than a widget-level issue.
> >
> >         Or am I misunderstanding what you mean by "multi-headed display
> > support"?
>
> Hmmm. Properly written Xlib programs can display themselves on any
> display (screen) specified by the user. I'm guessing that GTK+ only
> allows the program to show itself on the default screen (probably the
> one pointed to by $DISPLAY). My question is 'Could there be a
> mechanism to tell GTK+ to display everything on a different screen?'
> (from within the same program)

Typical multi-headed systems treat all display area as one single
extended display.

One is considered the "master", and the second a "slave".

To use the second display in most situations, all you have to do is drag
the window you want to appear on the slave display from the master
display and drop it.

"predefining" the second display involves rethinking the "geometry" of
the entire display space.

If you have two 1024 x 860 displays, the resultant geometry is something
like 2048 x 860.  So to place a window explicitly in the second display,
your "y" parameter (left/right-horizontal) position would have to begin
HIGHER than 1024 to appear in the second display.

If the parameter parsing system won't recognize numbers higher than the
single-display geometry, you'll have to drag/drop the window to "store"
it on the second monitor.

How do you define the x/y coordinates in GTK?

(I'm a fledgling GTK user, primarily in GIMP so I haven't done any
exploring of the GTK source yet.)