Re: [gtk-list] Re: Multiple Display support in GTK+?

On 11 Apr, Jim Harmon shouted:
->  Nathan Froyd wrote:
->  >
->  > Michael Poole wrote:
->  > >         Out of curiosity, how would this work?  It seems to me that
->  > > GTK+, being (entirely?) a widget toolkit, is a layer of abstraction
->  > > above running on multiple devices.  Supporting independent displays
->  > > on multiple devices, or one display spanning several devices, is a
->  > > lot more of a device-driver issue than a widget-level issue.
->  > >
->  > >         Or am I misunderstanding what you mean by "multi-headed display
->  > > support"?
->  >
->  > Hmmm. Properly written Xlib programs can display themselves on any
->  > display (screen) specified by the user. I'm guessing that GTK+ only
->  > allows the program to show itself on the default screen (probably the
->  > one pointed to by $DISPLAY). My question is 'Could there be a
->  > mechanism to tell GTK+ to display everything on a different screen?'
->  > (from within the same program)
->
->  Typical multi-headed systems treat all display area as one single
->  extended display.
->
->  One is considered the "master", and the second a "slave".

actually they are simply mutliple screens (open a X Window on sceeen
0,1,2,3, etc. 0 being the default most apps will use) there isnt' any
master/slave relationship....

->  To use the second display in most situations, all you have to do is drag
->  the window you want to appear on the slave display from the master
->  display and drop it.

no - this may onyl work under limited circumstances: 1. both displays
must contain the same set of visuals, 2: the program does not rely on
the current root window id for things it is doing...

->  "predefining" the second display involves rethinking the "geometry" of
->  the entire display space.
->
->  If you have two 1024 x 860 displays, the resultant geometry is something
->  like 2048 x 860.  So to place a window explicitly in the second display,
->  your "y" parameter (left/right-horizontal) position would have to begin
->  HIGHER than 1024 to appear in the second display.

um.. X currently (6.3) has no official support for that 6.4 has xiernma
which is the multi-creen "one big display" thing... (ala macos) although
it is in theory possible to have done this long long long ago withotu
anythign inX - just have a framebuffer that is very wide, or high (if
u place the monitors above eachother), but in traditional X design the
multiple screens are almost treated like separate displays, and can be
different in resolution, bit-depth, default visual settings and set of
visuals available to apps, each has a different root window id etc.

->  If the parameter parsing system won't recognize numbers higher than the
->  single-display geometry, you'll have to drag/drop the window to "store"
->  it on the second monitor.
->
->  How do you define the x/y coordinates in GTK?
->
->  (I'm a fledgling GTK user, primarily in GIMP so I haven't done any
->  exploring of the GTK source yet.)
->
->  > Nathan
->  >