Re: [gtk-list] Re: Stupid feature requests (and bug).

Marko Macek wrote:

> > 3. The menus act kinda weird. If I drag the pointer through menus, it's
> >    ok. But if I release the mouse button, the pointer changes into
> >    X and the menu acts as if I still held the mouse button pressed.
> >    Even when I move the poiner out of the menu, the gtk thinks the
> >    mouse button is still down and keeps popping up other popup menus
> >    from the menu bar as I move the pointer past them. Is this how
> >    it is meant to be? I don't like that... I'd love the menus to act
> >    just like Motif or Windogs or any other menus. ;)
>
> I'd second this proposal. The problem with the current behaviour is
> that it not possible to reasonably implement keyboard navigation of
> menus (because no item is selected if you move the mouse out of the
> menu and button is not pressed). Like in motif/windows, there should
> be at least one item selected unless the button is pressed.
>
> Mark

Mark, I had exactly the same opinion before (it was my proposal in
fact), but now I figured out that Windows NT acts just the same (as
gtk). How come I always thought it had to be the other way? Maybe
I had used Windows 3.1 too long, but now I'm not even sure 3.1 does it
that way... However, your statement is valid IMHO. If the user releases
the mouse button, make him *click* it to select and activate the item.
One more reason for that is that some X servers act really sluggish
when thy have to popup/hide lots of the submenus when you move the
pointer across a menu.

Martynas