Re: [gtk-list] Re: Stupid feature requests

Otto Hammersmith wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 12, 1997 at 06:18:42PM +0300, Martynas Kunigelis wrote:
> > Hi gtk-ers,
> >
> > I'm new to gtk, haven't written a single stupid app yet, but as always
> > I already have some idiot newbie remarks that tend to piss the
> > developers off:
> >
> > 1. Why not make the button label/pixmap/whatever move along with the
> >    button itself when the button is clicked? Motif is the only toolkit
> >    that does not do this and why should gtk inherit bad things?
>
> Because it used to be that you could specify five different pixmaps
> for the various states of a button.  If you wanted a pixmap that
> moved, you just provided another pixmap.  It worked, but resulted in a
> lot of excess code.  (the advantage now is better handling of
> backgrounds...)
>
> Apparently Spencer changed how GtkPixmap widgets work, so that may not
> be the case any longer.  I haven't had the time to look at it... so
> I'm not sure there is a way to do it anymore. :-/

Damn. I really hate the Motif-way. The button label _should_ lower along
with the button when it's pressed, this is how it look in the real
world. Please, please, make it so!

> > 2. In _all_ other GUI toolkits I've seen the button/menu/scrollbar
> >    stays pressed if you press the mouse button and move the pointer
> >    off the widget. The button gets released when the user releases
> >    the mouse button, wherever the pointer might be. Gtk does it
> >    in a different way: the button gets released if you move the pointer
> >    off it while the mouse button is down. I don't know whether this
> >    is intentional, neither I find it particularly annoying, just not
> >    traditional. Any chance to get it the other way?
>
> Then you haven't seen Motif, Qt, XForms, Xaw3D and Windows.
>
> The first few were the only ones I had convenient on this machine to
> test... the last is from memory. (I remeber how Minesweeper works, okay:)

Arghhh, sorry again.. I just checked and Windows and Motif really act
the way you say... SORRY, I'M A WUSS (but Josephine is not :)
[BTW, I've been doing Qt for half a year, and now (can you believe it)
 I got bored of it just because of its license since a lot of Linuxers
 do not like the license]

Martynas