Re: Pango support for `size' OpenType feature?

On 09/09/2012 06:12 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>>> If I have understood correctly how the `size' feature works, it goes
>>> one step further: Let's assume that I request emmentaler-13 while
>>> using 19pt, and emmentaler-18 covers the range 17pt<=size<20pt.  After
>>> applying the `size' feature, the application will use emmentaler-18.
>>> BTW, XeLaTeX supports this, and the `fontspec' package for XeLaTeX
>>> provides a nice emulation interface of it.
>>
>> Why would you request 'emmentaler-13'?
>
> Because the user doesn't know it better?
>
>> I assume the fonts have the same Preferred Family name.
>
> Yes, but for example fc-list (version 2.8.0) gives the following for
> lmroman12-regular.otf:
>
>   Latin Modern Roman,LM Roman 12:style=12 Regular,Regular
>
> Both `Latin Modern Roman' and `LM Roman 12' should work IMHO as the
> input for the `size' feature.

That would be extremely confusing.  Imagine in a design app, if you
specifically choose the 12 variant, you really don't want another one to be used.

As for what gets listed and what doesn't, we do scan-level surgery in Fedora
using fontconfig rules, combining various Droid Sans families, etc.  Nicolas
Mailhot can tell you if you are interested.