Re: Pango runtime warning

On 28 Jan 2011, at 20:55, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> What does fc-match return?

I got a chance to try this today and found a few errors, which may or may not be down to me not understanding what FontConfig does or what it needs.  But firstly, a problem that definitely wasn't down to me:-

The first time I ran fc-match it produced this output:-

"Cannot load default config file"

I searched my system and sure enough, the file "fonts.conf" had disappeared.  There's no way that I deleted it so I'm guessing it must have been deleted by FontConfig at some stage. When I first installed the file, I noticed a message to the effect that FC would be updating the file periodically, so I had the foresight to make a safety copy.  After replacing the missing file, I ran fc-match again and this time I saw no output whatsoever.  I then ran fc-match in my debugger and saw lots of debug output like the errors I reported the other day on the FontConfig mailing list - I.e.

FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/local/etc/fonts/._fonts.conf'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/local/etc/fonts/%fonts.conf'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/local/etc/fonts/.AppleDouble/fonts.conf'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/local/etc/fonts/fonts.conf/..namedfork/rsrc'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/local/etc/fonts/fonts.conf/rsrc'

and some more output, relating to cache files:-

FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/local/etc/fonts/cache/%4398e5d010349f2d591a9b4ff2020a43-le32d4.cache-3
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/local/etc/fonts/cache/
AppleDouble/4398e5d010349f2d591a9b4ff2020a43-le32d4.cache-3'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/local/etc/fonts/cache/4398e5d010349f2d591a9b4ff2020a43-le32d4.cache-3/
.namedfork/rsrc'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/local/etc/fonts/cache/4398e5d010349f2d591a9b4ff2020a43-le32d4
cache-3/rsrc'

I still don't know whether this is normal behaviour or not.  As to the fonts themselves....

On 28 Jan 2011, at 20:55, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> This warning generally means that pango didn't find any fonts.

This particular app (the one that's giving me the blocky text) was built for Windows, using Visual C++.  Previously I'd already built the same app for Windows (using Cygwin).  The Cygwin version didn't show the blocky text (it seemed to work okay).  When I came to build with VC++ I copied all my ".conf" files to a new location and (although I saw a message about not editing fonts.conf) I did edit the paths, so that FC would know where to find the cache directory and conf files.  Apart from that, I didn't edit anything else.  Nor did I copy or relocate any actual font files from anywhere.  I assumed that Pango (under both Cygwin and VC) would be using my installed Windows fonts and would intelligently find them.  But maybe that's a bad assumption.  Should I have relocated some actual font files too?

I don't know if this gets us anywhere Behdad but I do appreciate your help.

John