Pango runtime warning

According to the Pango website, this mailing list is the right one for questions about Pango.  So, assuming that's correct....

Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect ugly output. engine-type='PangoRenderFc'. script='common'

What kinds of problem would cause the above warning message to get generated when I'm running a GTK+ application, built under Windows?  I'm trying to figure out whether it indicates a missing font, or whether there's a problem with one of the rendering modules, or with a config file, or with a supporting technology (presumably FontConfig in this instance)?

I see the message whenever one particular widget gets displayed (and it does indeed give me very ugly looking squares, instead of the expected text).  The fonts generally though seem to be okay.  Any suggestions about where to start looking would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

John