Re: Creating a new back-end for Pango

On 08/05/2009 02:30 PM, James Hu wrote:
Hi,
As UIFont is only a subset of Cocoa Text, it does not contain any of the
advanced text layout capabilities available in Pango. The next best
thing below UIFont is very simple glyph displaying in Core
Graphics/Quartz, and can't be used for displaying anything but the most
basic latin scripts. Thanks again!
-James Hu

Doesn't the new iPhone support Arabic?

Anyway, if you need builtin shaping from Pango, you then have to build with the FreeType backend. Right now, that's the only way you can get Pango to shape (instead of delegating to the native system, which you don't have).

That said, we are separating the shapers from the FreeType backend though, so in a couple of months you'll be able to use them with any backend you want. They are OpenType shapers though. No AAT.

behdad

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org