Creating a new back-end for Pango

Hi,
I'm trying to port Pango to the iPhone. The iPhone doesn't have ATSUI, but instead uses UIFont, which is a subset of the OS X's Cocoa Text system. And due to iPhone's memory size restraints, I'm trying to avoid including Cairo into the mix and draw directly with Core Graphics (which is what Cairo uses anyways).

Do you guys have any pointers on what classes need subclassing, and what hooks are available in Pango to include a new backend? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
-James Hu