Re: Error loading GDEF / GSUB / GPOS table 28333

If you know which font is causing it, open a bug at bugzilla.gnome.org
against Pango and attach the font.  I'll look into it.

> I myself have seen this issue with graphviz, not wireshark:
>
> http://graphviz.org/bugs/b1318.html
>
> So I suspect a problem in pango or maybe cairo, not a problem in
> graphviz or wireshark. Though for me, I notice no problem with the
> pango/cairo output. Just the warning message of which I don't know
> what to make. I am using pango 1.20.2, cairo 1.6.4, glib 2.16.3 on
> Mac OS X 10.4.11. I've seen the issue on a Power Mac G4 with Xcode
> 2.5 and a MacBook Pro with Xcode 2.4.1.
>

> Second problem is this message:
>
> (wireshark:24691): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly
> output. shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Lucida Grande 13',
> text='Initializing dissectors ...'
>

> And apparently then no text appears (only boxes). And apparently
> downgrading from cairo 1.6.4 to 1.4.14 made the problem (one? both? I
> don't know) go away for the reporter, though at the time I
> experienced the above error message, I was using cairo 1.4.14 (1.6.x
> had not been released).

That's not good.  This typically means an stale fontconfig cache, where
the font file does not exist anymore but fontconfig reports it to pango.
It's pretty much impossible for the cairo version to have any effect on
this issue.

> Does any of this give you any idea what might be wrong? Any other
> information I can give you to isolate it? Is pango the correct place
> to look for this problem or should I be contacting e.g. the cairo
> developers? Thanks for any thoughts you have on the matter.

Try "fc-cache -f".

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/