Error loading GDEF / GSUB / GPOS table 28333

Hi. I'm the maintainer for pango in MacPorts, and a user has reported some problems to me that I don't know what to do with, so I'm coming to you for help. Here's the bug report:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/15052

First issue:

(wireshark:24691): Pango-WARNING **: Error loading GDEF table 28333

(wireshark:24691): Pango-WARNING **: Error loading GSUB table 28333

(wireshark:24691): Pango-WARNING **: Error loading GPOS table 28333

I myself have seen this issue with graphviz, not wireshark:

http://graphviz.org/bugs/b1318.html

So I suspect a problem in pango or maybe cairo, not a problem in graphviz or wireshark. Though for me, I notice no problem with the pango/cairo output. Just the warning message of which I don't know what to make. I am using pango 1.20.2, cairo 1.6.4, glib 2.16.3 on Mac OS X 10.4.11. I've seen the issue on a Power Mac G4 with Xcode 2.5 and a MacBook Pro with Xcode 2.4.1.

Second problem is this message:

(wireshark:24691): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output. shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Lucida Grande 13', text='Initializing dissectors ...'

And apparently then no text appears (only boxes). And apparently downgrading from cairo 1.6.4 to 1.4.14 made the problem (one? both? I don't know) go away for the reporter, though at the time I experienced the above error message, I was using cairo 1.4.14 (1.6.x had not been released).

Does any of this give you any idea what might be wrong? Any other information I can give you to isolate it? Is pango the correct place to look for this problem or should I be contacting e.g. the cairo developers? Thanks for any thoughts you have on the matter.