Pango and Printing with GTK#

I'm trying to do some printing with a mix of pango and cairo within
GTK#. My big issue right now is I can't find a
way to reliable measure a font so I can figure out how many characters
will fit inside the Layout so I can manage how
many pages will need to be printed and wrap the text properly.

Right now I can get it to wrap the text automatically for me by giving
the layout a width but then I can't figure out a way
to measure the strings to know how many pages i'm going to have.

Is there standard functionality in Pango to do all this?