Re: Indic script support in cross-compilation environment

Harshvardhan Ketkar wrote:

On 12/09/2007, *Girish* <girish a geodesic com <mailto:girish a geodesic com>> wrote:

    Harsh Ketkar wrote:

    > On 12/09/2007, *Behdad Esfahbod* <behdad behdad org
    <mailto:behdad behdad org>
    > <mailto:behdad behdad org <mailto:behdad behdad org>>> wrote:
    >
    >     >>What if you put them in /usr/share/fonts or ~/.fonts/ ?
    >

    > Hi,
    >
    > I deleted the /usr/local/share/fonts folder after copying their
    > contents to /usr/share/fonts. On running the application, I got the
    > following error:
    >
    > No fonts found; this probably means that the fontconfig
    > library is not correctly configured. You may need to
    > edit the fonts.conf configuration file. More information
    > about fontconfig can be found in the fontconfig(3) manual
    > page and on http://fontconfig.org
    >
    > I didn't get the message on doing the same after moving the
    fonts to
    > ~/.fonts and doing a fc-cache, however. The devanagari characters
    > still weren't rendered.
    >
    > Also, there is no fonts.conf file in the cross-compiling
    environment.
    > The fonts are detected only when kept in /usr/local/share/fonts or
    > ~/.fonts.
    >
    > I kept the indic fonts alone and then I ran the application. Still,
    > only the devanagri characters are not rendered. The English
    characters
    > are rendered properly(albeit in a different font, since I have
    removed
    > the non-indic fonts).
    >
    > I used the devanagari characters provided by the Character Map in
    > Ubuntu(Applications >Accessories >Character Map). Are they
    responsible
    > for this?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Harshvardhan

Could you paste the out put of fc-list

Sure. Here it is:
Comic Sans MS Mäori,Comic Sans MS M‰ori:style=Regular
Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:style=Bold
Comic Sans MS:style=Regular,Normal,obyčejné,Standard,Κανονικά,Normaali,Normál,Normale,Standaard,Normalny,Обычный,Normálne,Navadno,Arrunta
Akshar Unicode:style=Regular
Bitstream Vera Sans:style=Oblique
Samanata:style=Regular
Aksharyogini:style=Normal
Bitstream Vera Sans:style=Roman
gargi:style=Medium
augie:style=Regular
Nakula:style=Regular
Kalimati,नालिमाटी:style=Regular,कालिमाटी
Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:style=Oblique
Comic Sans MS:style=Bold,Negreta,tučné,fed,Fett,Έντονα,Negrita,Lihavoitu,Gras,Félkövér,Grassetto,Vet,Halvfet,Pogrubiony,Negrito,Полужирный,Fet,Kalın,Krepko,Lodia
Bitstream Vera Sans:style=Bold
Chandas:style=Regular
Bitstream Vera Serif:style=Roman
Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:style=Bold Oblique
Bitstream Vera Sans:style=Bold Oblique
Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:style=Roman
DVBOTSurekh:style=Normal
Bitstream Vera Serif:style=Bold
Sahadeva:style=Regular
JanaHindi:style=Sans

Looks Fine. No problem with the fontconfig. I have one gtk example which accepts font as an argument and render the text in the label. It may help you in debugging. You can try replacing label with your text widget.

Usage: label FontName Style Size Exmaple:
  ./label Courier Italic 25

regards
Girish