Re: Indic script support in cross-compilation environment

On 12/09/2007, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:
>>What if you put them in /usr/share/fonts or ~/.fonts/ ?

Hi,

I deleted the /usr/local/share/fonts folder after copying their contents to /usr/share/fonts. On running the application, I got the following error:

No fonts found; this probably means that the fontconfig
library is not correctly configured. You may need to
edit the fonts.conf configuration file. More information
about fontconfig can be found in the fontconfig(3) manual
page and on http://fontconfig.org

I didn't get the message on doing the same after moving the fonts to ~/.fonts and doing a fc-cache, however. The devanagari characters still weren't rendered.

Also, there is no fonts.conf file in the cross-compiling environment. The fonts are detected only when kept in /usr/local/share/fonts or ~/.fonts.

I kept the indic fonts alone and then I ran the application. Still, only the devanagri characters are not rendered. The English characters are rendered properly(albeit in a different font, since I have removed the non-indic fonts).

I used the devanagari characters provided by the Character Map in Ubuntu(Applications >Accessories >Character Map). Are they responsible for this?

Cheers,
Harshvardhan