Re: Has the pango_itemize call changed since libpango 1.8? We now get severe valgrind issues (invalid read and others) associated with this call.

On 3/26/07, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:
Generally, very few people use pango_itemize() directly; PangoLayout is vastly
easier to use and works for most uses. Off-hand the only code (other tha
PangoLayout) that I can think that uses pango_itemize() directly is GtkHtml
but I would not recommend the source code to that as a reference; it's
pretty messy code and not one bit simple.

http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/gfx/thebes/src/gfxPangoFonts.cpp

No idea if they are doing something sane or not (would be interesting
to hear your opinion), but they seem to be using the low level Pango
API and hopefully their code quality is better than GtkHtml's...

Cheers, Xan

My general recommendation is:

 - Use PangoLayout unless you need something that is very different from
   rectangular paragraphs of text. (Single unwrapped lines or strings
   are a subset of rectangular paragaphs...)
 - Use cairo for Postscript output instead of rolling your own on top
   of PangoFT2.

                                                - Owen