Re: Has the pango_itemize call changed since libpango 1.8? We now get severe valgrind issues (invalid read and others) associated with this call.

On Sun, 2007-03-25 at 13:51 -0700, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> This is a question about the proper way to set up the call to pango_itemize
> for libpango.
>
> When I build libLASi (http://www.unifont.org/lasi/) using the Debian stable
> development libraries (Version: 1.8.1-1 of libpango and Version: 2.1.7-6 of
> libfreetype), and build a simple example that links to libLASi, the result
> is valgrind clean (except for some unfreed memory at the end).  When I or
> any of my colleagues on the libLASi development team build against any
> version of libpango later than that (e.g., Ubuntu Dapper with Version:
> 1.12.3-0ubuntu3 of libpango and Version: 2.1.10-1ubuntu2.2 of libfreetype)
> then the same simple example exhibits severe valgrind memory management
> problems (e.g., invalid reads) associated with the call to
> pango_itemize.  Please check the attachment for details of the valgrind
> output.  You will see there that every valgrind complaint is associated
> with the call to pango_itemize.
>
> Has there been some change to how users should set up pango_itemize since
> version 1.8.1 of the libpango library?

Not really.

All the warnings you attached look like false positives happening deep
into the libc.  What happens if you use the 1.8.1 pango on the same
system as the one you tested 1.12.3?

behdad