Re: [gtk-i18n-list] Unicode PUA supporting issue in gtk+/pango

On Tuesday 20 December 2005 12:21, mpsuzuki hiroshima-u ac jp wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 11:39:09 +0800
> "Arne G��tje (高盛華)" <arne linux org tw> wrote:
> >And and it will still be a long time until CJK Ext. C comes out. And
> >even after that the PUA and Plane 15/16 areas will still be used for
> >temprary storage of characters which are not yet or will never be in
> >Unicode...
>
> Please let me know more about the characters that
> "will never be in Unicode".

For example: Taiwanese POJ uses some latin characters with (stacked)
diacritcs which don't have a precomposed form in Unicode. The Unicode
folks stated that they won't include any additional precomposed latin
combinations anymore. Those cases should use the GPOS feature (mark and
mkmk) to put the diacritics in the correct posotion. There is nothing
wrong with that point of view. However, one important diacritic
(U+0358) has only recently been included into Unicode 4.1. As many
programs and rendereing engines still cannot handle that feature and
codepoint correctly, I have put precomposed Latin combinations in Plane
15. Further I plan to use it for Han characters which are used in
Taiwanese and Hakka languages and which are not even planned in CJK
Ext. C.

> >>Is it the role of iconv?
> >
> >No. it would be the matter of the fonts to supply alias codepoints,
> > so that both, old documents and new documents can be displayed.
> > However, if someone wants to convert Unicode documents from PUA
> > codepoints to new official codepoints, there should be a script
> > provided to do that manually (for example a plug-in in
> > openoffice.org).
>
> I think you say "if gtk+/pango passes PUA charcode transparently
> to the font layer, it's enough, no code-conversion issue occurs."
> My understanding is right? If so, how do we descriminate:
> the fonts which provides expected Hanzi glyph for PUA codepoint,
> and the fonts which uses PUA for other purpose?
> If there's OpenType feature tag to declare as PUA codepoints are
> filled by HKSCS or CNS11643, we can descriminate - but yet there's
> no such thing, at present...

There is no need to descriminate. Users who expect special characters in
PUA areas have to use special fonts which provide the correct glyphs.
And usually teh users know which fonts provide the expected glyphs.

For example: my CJK-Unifonts provide full HKSCS-2004 coverage, both the
official Unicode codepoints according to Unicode 4.1 and the previous
used PUA codepoints. But this is a feature of the font and has nothing
to do with the rendering engine. PUA codepoint stays PUA codepoint. No
changes.

> BTW, I don't have CJK unifont including Plane 15 & 16.
> How do I obtain that?

http://www.cjkunifonts.info

Cheers
Arne