Re: Chinese XIM and GTK+ 2

I have to correct myself: on further experimentation,
GTK_IM_MODULE does indeed do the trick.  To sum up: using

   export LC_CTYPE=zh_TW.UTF-8
   export XMODIFIERS= im=Chinput
   export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
   chinput

(I had to put this in /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession to make it
desktop-wide) it is indeed possible to input Chinese in GTK+ 2
applications in a Unicode environment.

Having read the documentation I did read, using GTK_IM_MODULE was
pretty non-obvious, but then again maybe I just missed it.  I
assume that this variable exists because GTK+ 2 supports various
different input method systems.  Surely there must be a default
system then, and it clearly does not seem to be XIM.  What is it?

The "ugly Sans" issue under Chinese LC_CTYPE persists, of course.
I would very much like to hear the experts' comments on that, and
also whether and how the original "font priorities" problem
(concerning Devanagari, Arabic, etc. - see that thread) is being
solved.

Many thanks,
Stefan

PS. If any of you can tell me how to bind chinput on/off-switching
to something else than the default CTRL-SPACE, I could regain
control of my emacs (setting the mark!) and would be very happy.

--
Stefan Baums
Asian Languages and Literature