Chinese XIM and GTK+ 2

Dear list,

the problem du jour is: When running a GTK+ 2 application (I tried
gedit and gimp) under

   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   LC_CTYPE=zh_TW.UTF-8

I am not able to enter Chinese characters via an XIM program
(chinput, but I also tried others).  Why do I have different
settings for LANG and LC_CTYPE?  Well, ideally I would like both
to be en_US.UTF-8, but chinput refuses to serve characters to
applications that do not run under a Chinese (zh_X.Y) locale.  Why
don't I set everything to zh_TW.UTF-8?  Because I don't want menus
etc. to be in Chinese (just beginning to learn the language).
When I do experimentally run e.g.

   LANG=zh_TW.UTF-8 LC_CTYPE=zh_TW.UTF gedit

everything (almost, see other email) works.  This looks like
something that GTK+ 2 is getting wrong.  Does anybody know how to
fix it?

Thanks,
Stefan

--