Re: Font priorities

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 16:32, Stefan Baums wrote:
> Dear list members,
>
> thank you very much for your suggestions.
>
> > You should make sure Raghindi has a higher precedence than any other
> > fonts with the Devanagari characters. I think one way to do this is
> > to put it at the top of the list of preferred fonts for a particular
> > alias
>
> I did that, and it makes no difference.  Raghindi is never used as
> part of "Sans," whether it is at the begining of the list or the end.
> Which one is supposed to be the position of highest priority in the
> list: beginning or end?

Ah, I bet I know what's going on. fonts.conf has two things in it:

 1) A list of what fonts map to what aliases for fallback purposes
    (Substitute Times Roman with Serif) (<alias> ... <default>..)

 2) The configuration of the aliases (<alias> ... <prefer> ...)

I suspect you are changing 1) rather than 2).

As for the problem with fontconfig picking OpenType-tableless fonts
rather than ones with the correct table ... that will require
some fontconfig API additions to fix. It was mentioned in the SIL
Graphite list from a few days ago.

(First in the list is higher priority for the alias configuration
as it happens)