Re: Font priorities

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 19:32:17 -0800
Stefan Baums <baums u washington edu> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I am using fontconfig 2.1, pango 1.2.0 and GTK+ 2.2.0.  In my
> ~/.fonts directory, I installed the Devanagari OpenType font
> "Raghindi"(raghu.ttf), and it is duly found by fontconfig and
> consorts, as evidenced by the font selection dialogues in gucharmap
> and gimp 1.3.11.
>
> However, when rendering text with the default fontset ("Sans"), such
> as in file selection dialogues, fontconfig/pango/GTK+ insist on
> using the FreeSans font for Devanagari instead of Raghindi.
> FreeSans contains some Devanagari glyphs, but no GSUB/GPOS
> information whatsoever, so the result is that conjunct consonants
> etc. do not get rendered properly.
>
> What to do?
try adding raghindi entry in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf
eg.
<!--
  Serif faces
 -->
        <alias>
                <family>Times</family>
                <family>Times New Roman</family>
                <family>Nimbus Roman No9 L</family>
                <family>Luxi Serif</family>
                <family>Kochi Mincho</family>
                <family>AR PL SungtiL GB</family>
                <family>AR PL Mingti2L Big5</family>
                <family>Baekmuk Batang</family>
                <family>Raghindi</family>
        </alias>

And also in

       <alias>
                <family>sans-serif</family>
                <prefer>
                        <family>Luxi Sans</family>
                        <family>Nimbus Sans L</family>
                        <family>Helvetica</family>
                        <family>Kochi Gothic</family>
                        <family>ZYSong18030</family>
                        <family>AR PL SungtiL GB</family>
                        <family>AR PL Mingti2L Big5</family>
                        <family>Baekmuk Gulim</family>
                        <family>Verdana</family>
                        <family>Arial</family>
                        <family>SimSun</family>
			<family>Raghindi</family>
                </prefer>
        </alias>

Maybe this should help

Regards,
Karunakar

--
Hating people is like burning down your house to get rid of a rat -
Anon

* Indian Linux project, www.indlinux.org          *
* Indic-Computing project, indic-computing.sf.net *