Re: Pango & printing?

I think we are talking about two things here that are somewhat related,
one is font subsetting and one is font conversion. There is a lot of
code our there that does font conversion, we copied and pasted one
implementation in gnome-print to do TT->T1 conversion a long time ago, I
don't think that font conversion is such a big of a problem as it has
been done a number of times, font subsetting is a bigger issue. We can
find a solution to both problems, even when font conversion is not a
problem the only issue with that is that the code is not being shared at
all.

Ideally you could load any FT_Face and ask the library to save it as a
specified format, for formats that you have "write backends" for. This
same code can take a map of glyphs from the FT_Face to write to file, so
we get subsetting too. The only open issue, and i don't know how big of
a deal it is, is that we might want to write the copyright of the
original font when we embed it, there might be a simple solution of
piggy-backing the copyright from the original font.

regards,
Chema