Re: Pango & printing?

Around 8 o'clock on Jul 2, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Joaqu=EDn?= Cuenca Abela wrote:

> In AbiWord I took the ttfps code to convert tt fonts, but something able
> to do subsetting will be much appreciated (and, as a bonus point, to
> convert to type 1 fonts instead of type 42).

The Qt code doesn't convert to Type1, but to to either Type42 or Type3.
Type3 is allowed as a "fallback" in case the target rasterizer doesn't
support Type42 (Type3 defines glyphs in terms of the basic Postscript
operators and has been supported far longer than Type42 (forever?)).

> Last time I checked it didn't looked too hard to extract the QtPrint
> code from Qt, so IMO we should use it as starting point if they agree to
> put it under the LGPL.

The original author of the code is Sivan Toledo (stoledo tau ac il) who
wrote the code on his own time for use with Qt.  He's a nice guy and will
almost certainly let stick an MIT license on it so it can be shipped with
FreeType.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab