Re: Standard Hebrew Keyboard Layout

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001, dov imagic weizmann ac il wrote about "Re: Standard Hebrew Keyboard Layout":
> I wrote:
> > [I realized that here are several interesting problems with Nikkud. E.g.
> > How do you enter the Holam on the VAV? If you do VAV-HOLAM then you
>
> Oops. Make that s/MITSVA/MITSVOT/ in which case the HOLAM should be
> between the VAV and the TAF. (As opposed to MATSOT in which the HOLAM
> is above the VAV.)

[sorry to non Hebrew-speakers, to which this discussion probably looks like
gibberish]

I don't think this is a correct example: "mitsvot" has, as far as I know,
two vavs, the second being a normal "cholam male". So this is not a problem
in this example. I tried to think of an example where a Vav has a cholam
chaser, but couldn't think of one, but my guess that an example like that
does exist.

So perhaps the "cholam" nikud should always be a "chaser" one, and "cholam
male", should be a different nikud? Perhaps even a character that includes
both the vav and the dot above it?
By the way, what do you do with shuruk? It only makes sense on a vav, so
again it makes sense to have it come as one character together with the vav.
Or do you simply use a dagesh instead of a shuruk because they look the
same?

--
Nadav Har'El                        |      Sunday, Oct  7 2001, 20 Tishri 5762