Re: GTK+, WM, desktops and CSD

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 7:38 PM Olivier Fourdan <fourdan gmail com> wrote:
> Yeap, that's a god idea, but that's for menubar, I am referring to decorations.

Well yes, I'm just pointing out that GtkSettings:gtk-shell-shows-app-menu can be misused to determine whether the app is running under GNOME and should use CSD, or a different environment where a traditional SSD+menubar+toolbar layout would be more appropriate.

That's obviously not as fine-grained as preferred-decoration-style/preferred-toolkit/preferred-menu-style/preferred-whatever-differentiates-DEs, but how many different UI styles can we expect apps to implement? No matter how many properties we add, the vast majority of apps will still focus on a single UI. Some apps that explicitly target different environments may implement two (and apps exist that are already doing that today), but I don't think anything beyond that is in any way realistic.