Re: GTK+, WM, desktops and CSD

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 10:33 PM David Nečas <yeti physics muni cz> wrote:
As long as I can set up my DE to pretend not to support CSD, whatever
the actual state is.  Because this is, at the end, user's preference.

No, that does not work. All the toolkit can reasonably do is passing the preference on to the application, which can either adjust its UI or not:

The worst thing that can happen when running a CSD application in an environment that pretends to not support it are double decorations, missing shadows and problems with window resizing.

The worst thing that can happen when the toolkit forcefully rips CSD from applications is that there is no more UI to save, navigate, load or whatever essential UI the applications happens to put into its decorations.

So even when such a property is added, there won't be anything magic about it. All it would do is allow applications that bother enough to offer alternative UIs for different environments. For all other applications, your options boil down to modify them yourself (if they are free software) or use something else ...