Re: Is GTK+ a cross-platform toolkit ? (fwd)

As always, thank you for your work on this. I have been hoping for a
while that you, or someone else, would get the official builds going
again, so please keep at it :)

Unfortunately, there are still a few bugs in the windows and mac
backends that have keep me from switching my project to Gtk 3.x. It
would be nice to have an up-to-date version of 2.x as well. For example,
I have been using the newer thread functions from Glib which are aren't
supported in the 2.24 bundle from gtk.org. So far I have been using the
.rpm files from the opensuse project and that's been working fine me, so
unless some other people express an interest in the 2.x line it's
probably not worth putting any effort into it.

On the subject of installers vs. zip files. I think it would be useful
to continue to provide installers, at least for the dev packages. I have
worked on several in-house tools that use GTK for the UI. In those cases
it's nice to be able to run the windows mingw32 installer, then run the
GTK+ dev installer, and have a working development environment set up
without having to mess around with paths and pkg-config files and all
that.

I don't really use the -bin installers very much though. When I make my
packages I always go though and delete out some of the libraries that
aren't needed, and then add in a few extras that aren't included. One
nice thing about having a -bin installer is that it might be a nice
example of how to create build a windows GTK installer. I like to think
of it as the "gtk-demo installer" more so than the "gtk runtime".

Lastly, I think some people on this list have expressed an interested in
having gtkmm in the installer. Personally, I also need libsoup and bzip2
for my package. Would it be possible to have the choice of doing a
"full", "custom", or "minimal" install. Similar to how mingw gives you
the option to install C/C++/Fortran/etc compilers?

I hope that's not too much all at once, and thanks again for your help.