Re: Updated GTK+ 2.24.5 binaries (and bundle)

> On 22/07/2011 12:11, Sam Thursfield
> wrote:
> > It's a small step but I just added a page to the
> wiki:
> >
> > https://live.gnome.org/Windows/Discussion
> >
> > Since there's a few of us all doing different things
> in this area I
> > think it would be helpful if we at least all kept that
> up to date with
> > what we are doing and why, and hopefully it can be the
> first step to a
> > bit more collaboration.
>
> More collaboration would indeed be a very good thing. Maybe
> reviving
> some form of the old gtk-win32-list mailing list could be
> helpful in
> discussing these long-term matters? Something like
> gnome-windows-list

I believe that would be very helpful too.  Thanks Sam and Dieter.

By the way, I am also in the process of writing up a live.gnome.org
page regarding compiling the GTK+ stack from a stock Visual C++ 2008/2010
installation-the page is https://live.gnome.org/MSVCCompilationOfGTKStack.
It is not complete yet, and I know I am slow in getting it done, but
anyways to let people know.

Beware though, on the MSVC aspect, compiling the latest stable GLib (and
possibly some or all of the GTK+ stack) out of the box is only possible
on Visual C++ 2005 or later due to Windows API/CRT functions usage-and I
can't say much about Visual C++ 2005 as I do not have that to test that
VS version.

> Also, to clarify why I've started updating Tor's scripts:
> - He used to make the binaries that are available on
> www.gtk.org
>   and ftp.gnome.org, but has recently announced he is
> no longer
>   interested in doing so [1]. This is fine, we all owe
> him at least
>   a couple of beers for the service he has provided
> all those years!
I fully agree with this-though I wonder I have the chance to get him the
beer face-to-face (I'm in another part of the world)-but anyways he does
deserve *lots* of credit! :)

> So my intent is to continue to update Tor's scripts and the
> good old
> gtk+-bundle for as long as relevant GTK+ 2.X releases are
> made.

Thank you for you work! (Even though I am not going by the MinGW/GCC path!)
Might want to ask the others on this list about the status (or situation
about how to provide) binaries of GTK+-3.x on Windows-please be aware that
GTK+-3.x is less stable than GTK+-2.x on Windows at the moment though.

> Now, after all this discussing about build systems and
> what-not, my
> question still stands: is there interest in keeping the
> binaries
> on www.gtk.org and ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/
> up to date
> for the remainder of GTK+-2.X's useful life?

My guess is "yes"...

Also I'd like to know whether there will be interest to add VS2010 project
files to build GTK+-2.24.x-please let me know too! (Note: the VS2008 files
cannot be upgraded to be used on VS2010 directly as there are a few items
in there that must be edited beforehand)

Thank you, and God bless
-Chun-wei