Re: Updated GTK+ 2.24.5 binaries (and bundle)

Quoting "Sam Thursfield" <ssssam gmail com>:
On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 9:22 PM, Dieter Verfaillie

It's great that you've taken on to do this work, many thanks! I've
done some work on windows builds myself[1],

Ah, yes. I've stumbled across your page multiple times already :)

and in fact there's more
people interested than it might appear so feel free to bring issues up
on this list. The more we coordinate our effort the better.

Agreed.

You can get the Visual C++ toolchain for free from the Windows SDK[2],
if you're interested in making these. Generating the import libs for
VC is super easy, you just need the .def file for the DLL (and not
even the actual DLL).

Hmm, I thought lib.exe was no longer available in the Windows 7 SDK?

I did discover yesterday evening, a couple of hours after sending
my original message, that what I suppose is the last version of lib.exe
still available for download can be found in the Windows Server 2003
R2 Platform SDK:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=12675 [1]

So, if all goes well, I'll be uploading new packages to github this evening.
This time _fully compatible_ with those already on ftp.gnome.org :)

As such, is there any interest in hosting these files on
ftp.gnome.org/www.gtk.org? If there is, I'll gladly "do the work"
and also provide a patch for http://www.gtk.org/download/win32.php

I'm sure there is, I don't know who is the person to give you access

Let's hope this thread get's noticed by whoever it is that get's to
decide...

That's a whole new can of worms :) I share the dream that one day it
would be great to use the mingw cross compiler and an automated build
service

Agreed, but python.org not officially supporting cross-compilation does
not combine with me primarily working on Python bindings. I'd need
Python 2.7, 3.2, 3.2+ etc and the ability to build for example PyGObject
or Glade with "Python Widgets Support" for each Python version for such
a build service to be useful. I won't attempt to contribute cross-compilation
support towards python.org, many have tried that already...

but I think it's important to get native builds working more
reliably to begin with ..

I have been dreaming of having an msys-python port though (considered by
most to be even more "exotic" than cross-compiling Python itself, I guess).
Would make jhbuild, but also other tools written in Python that need to
run at build-time like gi-scanner, much more reliable. And we'd be able
to get rid of loads of "subprocessing" workarounds/bugs...

Thanks,
Dieter

[1] No need to burn the image to a cd, just extract it with 7-zip and
install from that. You only need the "Microsoft Windows Core SDK", the
rest is not needed so the resulting installation is quite small, for a
Platform/Windows SDK, that is ;)

When installed, lib.exe hides itself in Bin\win64\x86\AMD64\
and unlike the directory name implies, the -machine:X86 flag still seems
to work fine.