Re: Crashes with long words in strings passed to gtk_widget_set_tooltip_text()

On 04/21/2011 02:44 PM, Fabian Keil wrote:
> The attached patch limits the width and height to 16384
> and prevents the crashes for me. I previously tried both
> 32767 and 32767-1 but still got the crashes.

(I just noticed there were another similar width/height limit test in
gdkgeometry-x11.c: _gdk_window_move_resize_child (), although I'm not
sure that part has to be modified too.)

> I didn't try anything between 16384 and 32767-1 so the
> actual limit may be higher (and not connected to 2**n).

Yes, the limit apparently is in Xlib but Xlib code itself is quite
complicated...

>> BTW, have you file a bug for the issue? It's the best way to have it fixed.
>
> I haven't filed a bug report yet as it wasn't clear to me
> if the behaviour is actually considered a bug. If there's
> an agreement that the behaviour is a bug, I wouldn't mind
> filing one.

IMHO, it's definitely a bug and it's worth beeing reported so that it
can be reviewed, along with your patch, by a maintainer, then finally fixed.

Manu