Re: Crashes with long words in strings passed to gtk_widget_set_tooltip_text()

Emmanuel Thomas-Maurin <manutm007 gmail com> wrote:

> On 04/20/2011 02:34 AM, Morten Welinder wrote:
> >> If you really want to safely pass a very long text,
> >> you will have to know the font (family and size) then check with stuff
> >> like pango_layout_set_text() and pango_layout_get_pixel_size().

The application where I noticed the problem doesn't intentionally
pass a very long text. It passes a text that comes from an untrusted
source (similar to Morten's example below) and the assumption made by
the authors seems to be that GTK will deal with the rest, or the
documentation would explicitly mention it.

If it is considered acceptable for gtk_widget_set_tooltip_text()
to crash the application, I'd consider that worth documenting,
too. Preferably together with a complete list of circumstances
where crashes are to be expected.

> > This happened in Gnumeric at some point too.  Basically, every time user
> > supplied string make it into tooltips, this will happen.  So it's
> > probably better
> > to fix this in gtk+.

> I don't think pixmap dimensions limit is mentioned in the GTK/GDK doc.
> Width and height type is gint, not guint16 or gint16.

Is the pixmap dimension limit really that important here?

If the tooltip is wider or higher than my screen I can only
see parts of the tooltip anyway. If I press a key to switch
desktops the tooltip disappears, so GTK could simply truncate
the tooltip to the resolution of my screen and I wouldn't be
able to tell the difference.

If getting the actual resolution is too much work,
it could be truncated to some arbitrary size.

I think even not showing a tooltip at all, or replacing the
text provided by the application with something like
"tooltip doesn't fit screen" would be a behaviour that is
vastly superior to crashing and less surprising for developers
that are reading the GTK documentation but aren't familiar
with the actual code.

Fabian