Re: GTK+ at the UX Hackfest

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 13:06 +0100, Filippo Argiolas wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
>> > Heya,
>> In Cheese we'd like to have something that I'd call ButtonGroup,
>> ToggleButtonGroup or RadioButtonGroup, something like a breadcrumb
>> (see e.g. screenshots at http://audidude.com/?p=27) but without the
>> breadcrumb logic. Maybe the breadcrumb could be a subclass of
>> this/these widget/widgets.
>
> Breadcrumb is probably more complicated than any of those, to be fair.

To be fair I don't think you completely got what I was trying to say.
I cited the breadcrumb because it's usually visually styled as a group
of buttons (that behave like radios plus some more complicated logic)
grouped together into a "single big button" that contains several
ones. If you look at the screenshots in that link I think it's pretty
clear, I'd like a way to "visually merge" together several buttons
into a grouping container. Look at this mockup too, it should make it
clear enough:
http://people.gnome.org/~fargiolas/toggle-button-mockup.png

Anyway, I still think that breadcrumb could be a subclass of this
"button group" (a subclass widget *is* more complicated than the
widget it subclasses), but maybe I didn't get the whole breadcrumb
thing.

>> We would use it in the toolbar in the "mode selector"
>> (gnome.org/~fargiolas/togglegroup.png), currently we use three toggle
>> buttons related to three radio actions but it would be great to style
>> them as a single widget.
>> Anyone else would like a widget like this?
>
> Seems to me that this widget would be a sub-class of a RadioButton. It's
> a toggle button that's part of a RadioButtonGroup.

Well it's not actually the radio functionality that I really care,
that's easily implementable. It's more the custom container that can
be themed to visually merge together several buttons. Once that's
done, the buttons could behave like simple buttons (probably useless),
toggle buttons or radio buttons. They would be just the usual buttons
into a special container probably.

> My guess is that you could probably get this widget added to GTK+, as
> long as you give a formal explanation as to why you're not using a radio
> button for this.

Well, the reason is simple, sexiness. Would you really put radio
buttons into a toolbar?

Hope I was more clear this time,
Cheers,

Filippo