Re: [Usability] On Ctrl+tab

On 13 Jan 2010, at 13:04, Jud Craft wrote:

> I don't think there is any official Apple pack-in program that uses tabs at all.  But then they do have a document-based window manager, so it's probably not a necessity.

Safari is one core OS X app that has document-level tabs, and in 10.6 it uses Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab for switching to the next/previous tab. (They've used at least two other different combinations in the past, though.)

The official definition of Ctrl-Tab in OS X is to "move focus to the next grouping of controls in a dialog or the next table (when Tab moves to the next cell)".

Dialog-level tabs, as found in many of Apple's system preference windows, do not have any direct keynav AFAIK.  You just have to Tab through the dialog until the tab control gets focus, then use the arrow keys+Space to switch to a different tab.

Cheeri,
Calum.

--
CALUM BENSON, Interaction Designer     Sun Microsystems Ireland
mailto:calum benson sun com            OpenSolaris Desktop Team