Re: disabling GTK+ features to shrink GTK+

* Michael Torrie <torriem gmail com> schrieb:

Hi,

> Why would you want to use directfb when a tiny X server is the
> same footprint and much better supported?

Which one are you talking about ? Kdrive ?
How good is it supported, especially on non-x86 platforms ?

Xwindow generelly has several design drawbacks due its history
and doesn't scale particular well in constrainted local-only
applications, compared to Dfb+fusion.

> directfb is redundant. I hope you're not using it.

I *am* using it, and it's far from being redundant.

> It reimplements (poorly) everything that X11 already does,
> like windows and events.

No, not everything that X11, and for its purpose far more efficient.

> > Qt is even worse than gtk.
>
> That's news to Nokia.  Not only do they use it in Linux environment on
> their phones, they have also ported it to Symbian and it will become
> their main platform.

Well, their decision. Smartphone GUIs are actually not the ideal
candidate for the machine code paradigm, especially if you want
things like 3rd-party applets, etc. Better take Android there.

cu

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt metux de
 mobile: +49 151 27565287  icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666