Re: disabling GTK+ features to shrink GTK+

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 21:34 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:

> > The maintenance overhead is just not worth it and that's most likely the
> > reason. When projects get to the size of GTK+ you really notice this
> > overhead.
>
> The big question to me is, why has it grown to this size in the
> first place ? Why can't those things simply be in their own libs,
> ontop of gtk ?

because loading tons of small libraries is actually going to cost much
more in terms of resources (memory, I/O, linking and loading time) than

for the past five years there has been an impressive effort in reducing
the amount of small libraries scattered across the platforms - splitting
up glib or gtk+ would completely negate that effort, and would cause a
performance regression all across the board.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name