Re: disabling GTK+ features to shrink GTK+

* Stefan Kost <ensonic hora-obscura de> schrieb:

> I wonder how many dependencies are in between the widgets. If not many
> one could make gtk plugin based. Like having a gtkcore with the
> baseclasses, paint engine and event system only. All widgets are
> provided by plugins. That is a plugin can provide several widgets. And
> thus you can have e.g. gtkcorewidgets.so, gtkcoredialogs.so, ... .

Plugin infrastructures need more complex things, like load and
lookup mechanisms (at least for the factories). You loose build-time
linking (for the plugins) and everything that's tied to it
(eg. linker cannot check for missing symbols). And you need some
generic interface to all widgets for passing proper construction or
change information, since there won't be per-widget functions anymore.

That IMHO only makes sense if you make the big step to a purely
declarative paradigm, where the application only describes the GUI
in some language and only steps in on specific events to retrieve
or change some attributes. Something like HTML/DOM or XUL.

cu

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt metux de
 mobile: +49 151 27565287  icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666