Re: gthread: how many cores do I have?

Hi!

> > I'd my program (a threaded image processing system based on gthread)
> > to be able to find out how many cores the host machine has.
>
> First a terminological nit: Don't confuse "cores" with "processors".
> There were machines with a high degree of symmetrical multiprocessing
> (i.e. lots of processors) a *long* time before multi-core chips
> appeared on the market.

Actually, he got the naming right. Even single-core cpus have cores...

Often, processors is understood to be sockets.

So... if you have machine with 4 sockets (and many people would say 4
processors) and quadcore processors, you have 16 cores, 4 sockets.

Software such as gthread is probably interested in total #cores in the
system, not #cpu sockets.
									Pavel