Re: 'Suspect' libglib-2.0 when launching Ardour2.8.4

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 8:43 PM, John Ralls <jralls ceridwen us> wrote:
> In fact, do just
>
> ldd /usr/lib/ardour2/ardour-2.8.4 2> /dev/null | grep glib-2.0
>
> to see where ardour is looking for glib.

as a followup, in case the OP doesn't do it ... the problem was that
he was using Fedora 8, which was already known to use to have a
miscompiled glib. I reported the bug to Fedora and to their credit
they got a new release out within 2 days, but this was on F9 (i
think), so even an updated F8 system was still broken. He ripped out
the system glib, replaced it with a self-built version that he
compiled, and things now work OK.

it was still a remarkable screw up on their part - compiling glib for
x86 as if it was a platform with no atomic operations, and thus
forcing all "atomic" ops to actually use mutexes, thus totally
changing their semantics. i question whether glib should even have
this fallback - it totally changes the semantics of a program if
g_atomic_int_add() can block, for example ....

anyway, he's working again and the problem is fixed.

--p