Re: Webkit-gtk and MacOSX

Am Tue, 25 Aug 2009 19:40:04 -0700
schrieb "Brian J. Tarricone" <brian tarricone org>:

> On 08/25/2009 06:04 PM, John Ralls wrote:
>
> > Thank you both for hashing this out for me. I'll persevere with
> > getting Webkit-Gtk to build with quartz, then. I'm not sure I agree
> > that it's "not that big": WebKit.framework clocks in at 78M.
>
> Presumably WebKit.framework includes WebCore.  Would it be possible to
> build WebKit-gtk against the system WebCore (instead of bundling your
> own), and just distribute the WebKit-gtk "wrappers"?

WebCore has no public interface. And it evolves so fast, feature wise,
that maintaining a system-webcore version of WebKitGTK+ would be more
than merely plugging it in.

Plus, as mention already, WebKitGTK+ is exposing libSoup to provide
functionality such as HTTP cookies, authentication and proxy server
support. The Mac WebCore doesn't have that because it uses different
code paths for the networking.

ciao,
    Christian